Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And now for something completely different...

Well, late yesterday was my intro to The Residents. My dad enthusiastically played The Third Reich 'n' Roll for me. I somehow wound up with a splitting headache. Might just be a coincidence...

Musically it was apalling. However, it was funny at points. It was basically a messy bunch of covers, done purely from memory. It was mostly sixties pop hits, I think. Didn't recognize most of it. Therefore, a lot of the joke passed me by. I did laugh pretty hard when Hanky Panky, Yummy Yummy Yummy I've Got Love in my Tummy, and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida came under the slate. Far as I'm concerned, they kinda deserved it. (Meaning no offense to anyone who likes those songs).

Unfortunately, there wasn't much else that was actually funny. It sounded more or less like nightmare music. Interesting, horrible, amusing and agonizing by turns. First thing I said when it was over was "I need a bath." Actually, I needed a mental rinse. Thank heavens it was not the sort of music that could ever get stuck in my head.

So why am I even wasting my time writing about it? Because it was (at times) entertaining. It's a pity that it was lumped into two long tracks, forcing you to listen to the whole thing if you ever want to hear the good moments again. I don't, but there are others who really enjoy the Residents.

Like my Dad, who was bopping, laughing, happy as a clam while this was playing. It's nice that someone gets something out of it.

As for me, it was educational. But it did not leave me a fan. I didn't think it would.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think he's right - it could grow on you. It's definitely not a love at first sight type of music, but more of an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete