Monday, April 6, 2009

The Geffen era begins

Hyaena. Four stars.

Hyaena does not hold the same edge previous Banshees records had. It's lush, neo-gothic romanticism with psuedo art-house production. Yes, it is softer than what's gone before, but it still retains the dark lyricism that is their trademark, and Siouxsie's voice just keeps gaining depth and range.

It's also got Robert Smith from The Cure onboard as guitarist. Some people might find that important. However (never having heard The Cure) it makes little difference to me.

My only complaint with this CD is a certain similarity the songs suffer from. They blend together musically a little too much. It's a noticable problem, and my main reason for only giving it a four.

Dazzle is one of the Banshees' all time great moments. It starts with a swirl of strings before kicking into high gear. Siouxsie fills the song with strange, darkly beautiful imagery. It's an immensely satisfying moment and just flies along.

I don't think so highly of We Hunger. The lyric is empty and grotesque and I don't find much of interest in the arrangement. The only thing I really like is the way Siouxsie sings it.

Take Me Back is a unique track. It's quite sparse (compared to the rest of it)and the lyric is the only one on here that actually makes any sense.

Belladonna has a lovely melody, it's rather pretty. An understated gem that always seems to sound better on the record than off. It's one of the moments I look forward to.

Swimming Horses is very refined. I didn't like it too much on first hearing it, but Siouxsie's voice carries it. At this point I usually start to notice the similarities in the "sound" of each song. Taking them off Hyaena tends to help. Might just be me.

Back to the songs... Next they cover Dear Prudence. It can't match the haunting quality of the original, but they put their own distinct interpretation on it. They give it a bouncy, radio-friendly quality and it's quite an enjoyable listen.

Bring me the Head of the Preacher Man is a dark, gothic track. It flows effortlessly from line to line, from one strange image to another. It rises and falls, smooth but turbulent. Another favorite.

Running Town is jauntier. I think it's trying for frantic, but it can't achieve that. I like it anyway, but it's not a standout.

Pointing Bone has an atmospheric beginning, then it launches into a fast-tempo song that seems to be some sort of sacrificial rant, full of typically bizarre imagery. For what it is it's not bad, but I find the best moments in the song to be when it slows down for the title phrase. I rather wish it had been more like that.

Anyway, it ends on a really strong note (ironically it used to be my least favorite). Blow the House Down. It's nearly seven minutes but really keeps your interest, and it comes closer than anything else on Hyaena to the exaustive ferocity of former days.

So Hyaena starts and ends wonderfully and has plenty of strong material in the middle. There are some things worth complaining about, but all in all it's a good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment