Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wavering...

Through the Looking Glass. Three stars.

I had never intended to buy this particular album, but I did so anyway, because I have a completist nature. It's the Banshees doing a cover album, and though not a complete success, it makes for an interesting listen.

One thing it has going for it is individuality. None of these songs blur together as some of the last two records did. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't good enough to hear more than once. Win some, lose some...

It's got a decent opener with This Town's Not Big Enough for the Both of Us. It's frantic, fast-paced and Siouxsie's voice falls over itself as she pours out the words. It's a good way to start.

Hall of Mirrors is also quite good. It's got the lush, gothic beauty that I love about Geffen-era Banshees. I do wish the chorus didn't show up so often, but that can't be blamed on them. For a cover, it's really good.

Trust in Me is actually from Disney's Jungle Book, believe it or not. For all that, it's darn good. It reads like a sinister lullaby anyway, and Siouxsie emphasizes that quality with her voice. It's a beautiful, sparkling inclusion, one of the best moments on here.

This Wheel's On Fire is a fast-paced, easy to like song. Good string arrangement. I can see why it was chosen as a single. I like it a lot.

Things bog down afterwards, more's the pity. Strange Fruit has the most obnoxious violins I've ever heard. The lyric is pointlessly dark. I find it a total waste of time.

You're Lost Little Girl is forgettable even as you listen to it. It's pleasant at first, but it's not all that interesting.

The Passenger is next. If I'd never heard the original, I'd certainly like it more. Interesting addition of a horn section... But let's face it; the Passenger is just one of those songs you aren't supposed to cover. Ah well, it's not like Siouxsie slaughters it, so why am I complaining?

Gun has a very interesting lyric and a footstomping beat. It's one of the best songs on side two. I don't love it, but it's certainly worth a listen now and then.

Sea Breezes starts good, but there are way too many pauses, dragging proceedings out. I don't like the original too much either. Bryan Ferry did it best solo.

Anyway, last track is Little Johnny Jewel - a hard to remember song with an eye-rolling climax. It ensures that Through the Looking Glass fades away, instead of going out with a bang. Every band have a few clunkers. (If they don't, it means they haven't made enough records) This is one of Siouxsie and the Banshees'. I don't get much out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment