Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope gets a solid five. This is where Siouxsie and the Banshees really take off. Listen to it right after Join hands; the difference is phenomonal. It's very experimental, very abstract and the drumming is far above the average thanks to new addition Budgie.

Happy House is the alert that they've gone up in the world. It's instantly recognizable and attention-grabbing and Siouxsie's voice has a newfound style and evocation. It's layered, the lyric is vivid, there's cool percussion. This is one great track and the best opener they've had yet.

It's followed by Tenant. Tenant is pure atmosphere. It's unsettling and relaxing at the same time. How often does that combo occur?

I don't have much to say about Trophy. It's a perfectly good song and I like it, but I can't find anything to say about it. That loss of words happens occasionally, to my annoyance.

Hybrid is long and repetitive in a good way. I haven't the faintest idea what it's about but it's got the typical Banshee imagery down -- the macabre, strange, faintly wrong imagery. I wish the lyric sheets would tell me who wrote what on here...

Clockface is a short, repetitious experiment. But I like it, as it calls to mind victorian steampunk, clockwork devices. It's a wordless deviation that fits well on the album.

Lunar Camel is a dreamy, puzzled little tune. It's a really lovely, quizzical piece, and a good follow-up to Clockface. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Christine is neat. It and Happy House made a great pair of singles. But I've heard it so much that there isn't anything new for me to say...

My favorite track is easily Desert Kisses. It's so evocative, and I especially love the wailing background vocals. Marvelous.

Red Light is downright creepy, with a camera sound affect going off and her slow, merciless voice painting a vivid picture.

Paradise Place is another unsettling one, wrapped in a really pleasing melody. It's about plastic surgery, a subject that is kind of grotesque anyway, but when the Banshees get hold of it...

I don't like Skin so well as the rest of this, as Siouxsie's voice is kind of harsh after all the improvements she's made. But it's weird and I like the way it winds itself up to a dervish frenzy before relaxing at the end.

So this is the first truly great Banshee album. It's odd that I never listened to it before writing this review, but better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment